In an earlier blog post, I had written about working on an idea for a tank top. The project wasn’t working and I decided to unravel it. I wanted to make a tank top without a pattern. I heavily based it on this pattern. I did several swatches to try and decide what motif to use. I decided on a motif and made a bunch of squares. Then I decided on a shape. I put the squares I had made together and measured it. I realized that it would have 6-7 inches negative ease on me and would never fit. I also I wasn’t enjoying making the squares that much. I found the stitch pattern hard to follow. I really had to pay attention to make sure I avoided mistakes and didn’t like the finished square enough to make effort worthwhile to me. I got to a point where I realized I was really struggling with this project and was having to force myself to work on it.
One night, I realized how frustrated I was with this project and was suddenly so over it so I unraveled all the squares I did. I was upset about it but relieved. I was depressed that it didn’t work but I also learned a lot. I realized too late that I should have decided on the shape of the tank top first then swatched. I also should have measured and washed the swatch I decided to use. I also learned that I need to swatch using multiple hooks sizes. Looking back, I think that I designing a tank top was a little beyond my abilities. I am thinking I want to make tank tops and other garments designed by other people to see how they did it.