My Blanket Project

DSC_0002 (1)-2

I am back with new content after a hiatus. Life happened, I was stressed out and I let this blog go by the wayside. Recently, I was making this blanket and kept thinking that I wanted to write about it. I sat down to write the draft and realized how much I missed writing blog posts and decided to work on new content. I wanted to make a blanket because I only have one other handmade blanket that I finished in November of 2014. That blanket doesn’t go with my current color scheme. When I made that blanket, I knew I wanted to use granny squares and a specific color theme but after that I winged it. It took me over 3 years to finish it because I worked on it on the side of other projects and I didn’t plan ahead that well. As result, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to put the squares together after I made them. In the time since I made that first blanket, I got more interested in designing my own patterns and realized the value of sketching, figuring out the math and planning ahead of time.

DSC_0007 (1)

This time I wanted to make a blanket and plan ahead how I was going to make it and how I wanted it to look. I knew that I wanted to use a black, grey, white and red color scheme. I love neutrals with a pop of color. I was reading Fridays with Franklin and he made blanket inspired by quilting patterns. I loved the idea and started to think about doing something similar. I looked up quilting patterns  like this one and started sketching out ideas. At this point , this felt like a big project and I wasn’t sure how I would pull it off.

DSC_0006-1

 I started to swatch for the squares. I looked at the book, Crochet Workshop and used instructions from the book on increasing. It didn’t work well at all. I was aiming for a square but it didn’t come out square at all. For swatch number 2, I pulled out the book, 200 Crochet Blocks. Before, I started to swatch #2, I read the first section of the book. The first section was on how to mix and match blocks. The book showed a pattern that had squares arranged to look like diamonds. I played around with that idea in my sketchbook and was so excited. I swatched a square from the book that I was sure would work; it didn’t work at all. The edges curled up, and the square used a single crochet stitch. As a result, the square took a long time to make. A whole blanket of single crochet squares would take a long time and would completely try my patience.

DSC_0009 (1)-2

 Then I remembered a crocheter I follow on Instagram made a blanket using using the corner to corner stitch. I found a tutorial on the technique on the Crochet Crowd website. Once I figured out how to make the square, I made a swatch using the corner to corner technique and I liked it. It gave me the effect I wanted.  Then I did some math to figure out how many squares I needed to make and how much yarn I would need. I had looked at this site to figure out different afghan sizes. I knew I wanted a blanket that would cover the top of my bed. I measure the bed and wrote down those numbers. Then I measured my swatch and figured out how many squares I would need across and down. I figure I will need to make 56 squares and I have made 20 so far. I am enjoying the project and will keep you posted.

Advertisements

One thought on “My Blanket Project

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s